35 hex build.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 hex build.

So I have been working on setting up and buying pieces for this tank for the last month or so. Finally have water in it so I will fill you guys in on how I got here. I am planning on buying a new house this spring so I am gonna be painting and carpet and freshening up the old house pretty heavy this winter. So I needed to get rid of my big system for now. Its doing structual damage to my house and I am just not taking care of it enough. So I sold my harder sps and am planning on making this a mostly softy tank and gonna try to not dose. I wanna try to just do frequent small water changes and feedings. This is my 90gal before tear down begins.

So I picked up this 30 hex as a package deal. Had to break it down and take everything to get it which sucked. But I paid 150 for it all and so far have maid 120 back and kept the parts I wanted. The tank said 1992 on it so its a old girl. So once i got it home i noticed someone had dug silicone out if seams. What was left was falling out. So I filled it ul for a leak test and sure enough it leaked. So I dug it all out and re did the whole inside with aqueon fish tank silicone. Turned out nice and holding water.

Next I began looking for a light. I wanted to try led but couldnt find a used one cheap enough. So I found this current sunpod on cora here. It turned out perfect for this setup. Newer 14k pheonix 150 bulb like j was currently using on the 90. My only concern is heat being a problem with no sump. We will see. I also got a blue led stunner strip out of deal so I zip tied it to the sunpod. Looks really nice withthe two on together and be able to create a dusk dawn atleast. Paid 75 plus two frags

I have never done a system with no sump but I knew the most important part to it was going to be a good skimmer. So I didnt cheap here and went and bought a aquac remora hob at phishy. Just fired it up tonight and its already skimming. It was a little more than I wanted to spend but from my reviews its the best.

Comment

Looks good man. Can't wait to see more pictures

Comment

I also painted back glass pane black. Got a mid picture but forgot the finished product

I set it all up yesterday and put some new water and new sand. Then all the rock out of my sump from 90 in there. Put some more rock in today from my tank that didnt have coral on it. I am gonna try and switch all my coral and fish over sat. I also will have 2 hydor powerheads and my reef keeper light on there sat. But this is where it is today

I am actually really excited about the looks of tank and the idea of seeing what I can keep alive with the least amount of work. Besides what I am adding sat I would like to add a small hang on back filter to agitate the surface. I plan on doing a big island in the middle with as much surface area for coral on with no shadow areas. Also gonna use the two powerheads to create a gyre flow so the whole water mass is constantly moving. I think it will help keep the system clean. Alright thats it for the start. I will keep everyone posted on my results good or bad. All ideas are welcome as I have never done a no sump system

Comment

looks awesome man I will have to come check it out

Comment

You both are more than welcome to anytime.

Comment

Well I got the tank all set up over the weekend. Everything seems to have made it alive. I am selling my manderin and blue hippo this weekend they are still hanging in the 90gal.

I ended up going with more of a rock wall in back to get as much surface area as possible. With my 90 I really like the looks of my rockwork but it had to many shadows and un usable spots. So function over form on this tank.

After two days of coral falling all over each other I decided to use some epoxy to hold it it in place. Bad idea 2 days later my skimmer is still freaking out.

I have my hydor powerheads on my controller this time. Since this tank is so small I am running a gyre flow in one direction for a few hours in morning. Then both powerheads creating a choas pattern then the oppsite powerhead with flow going other direction for a few hours and at night both powerheads of for 4 hours. I really hope this is gonna help keep the tank as clean as possible and not having dead spot.

No heat issues with the mh. I was worried about that with such small water mass.

Welp theres my update :beer:

Comment

Beautiful, I love it!
                500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

Comment

Its about the complete opposite of your build stempy haha. I just read your whole freshwater thread a little but ago. Amazing. I cant wait to sell my first house and get my next one this spring. Then I can go all out

Comment

Beautiful, I love it!

and thanks by the way.

Comment

Love it man. It's great most of your coral made, it you have some pretty unique stuff. How is the Tang doing with the smaller tank?

Comment

Hah, yea its the complete opposite alright. Mines a giant POS atm and that is a beautiful reef tank
                        500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

Comment

Great looking set up man! What did you use to paint the back of the tank?

Corey

Comment

Tommy

Yes I was very stressed about my coral. Maybe more than them the night I did it all ha. I love how its all full and colorful now. And of course I picked my best looking coraline filled rock. I had all intentions of selling yellow tang as well. But in night of move my blue tang was super stressed. To the point that night I thought it was gonna die. The 90 was so cloudy from detrious and sand it was laying on its side not moving. The yellow tang was swimming around picking and eating like nothing was going on. So I decided after a few hours to put yellow in new system incase blue died. But the blue tricked me because four days later he is eating and colorful like nothing happened. But the yellow seems fine in new system. Its only temporary so j rhink he will be fine.

Thanks again stempy. With your skills I am sure you will have it in tip top shape in no time

I used rustoleom gloss black enamel corey. I was worried about adhesion since I body work and paint cars for a living. Nothing likes to stick to glass. But so far I have drug my skimmer acrossed it and had both my hydor magnets suctioned to it and removed and no paint has lifted or peeled to this point. And I painted the none water side obviously

Comment

Spray paint from lowes *

Comment

Working...
                              X