• Show
Clear All

Thanks jason.
    Glad you stopped in, keep poking in.
    How was vaca? Did you go already??

Corey

Comment

Hey Corey, yep got back last week.
      Belize was well, unBelizeable, sorry had to get that one in, still working on sorting thru all the pics but I'll post some soon.
      Keep up the good work!

Comment

Glad travels were safe buddy!

Ok, so for this stand, is skinning it really my only option for helping w any racking? I'm wanting to make the sides removable and attach via magnets but not sure how to do this with skinning the stand first?
        I will also be adding so additional cross supporting the top of the tank.

Corey

Comment

You could always add some corner bracing but skinning it should pretty much take care of any racking. I'm no expert in this area but I would think the easiest way would be to buy plywood sheets large enough to cover each side. You could then route out/cut out the openings for the doors. The choice of plywood would depend on whether you plan on staining or painting the stand. I personally like the stands that have access from the end(s) - just gives you more access options.
          Vaughn

IM Fusion Nuvo 20G, Ghost Skimmer, Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex, Neptune Apex DOS, Gyre 130, Tunze 3155 ATO,

Comment

Corner supports will keep it from racking. that thing is not going to rack or tip. you should not need any skinning for support. thats how I did mine. I know mines on a much smaller scale but I also use much smaller wood i used 2*3. Remember all of the plywood we're going to be adding on the inside of the stand to separate for different compartments that's going to keep from racking as well
            Last edited by jck09; 05-14-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Vaughn, my plan is to have access from 3 sides of the tank via magnetic doors. I plan on plywood on the top and the bottom of the stand for support/bracing and help with interior organization

Corey

Comment

With well over a ton of weight on top of the stand, small corner braces wouldn't do much if it started to move. However, with that much weight pushing straight down it would take a LOT to get the tank going one way or another. As long as the floor is basically level and secure and/or you don't get a 12" wave moving back and forth in rhythm, I think you're pretty safe as is.
                Rob
                90G DT on Hiatus...
                Nanobox Tide powered IM Fusion Nuvo 10 in recovery

Comment

Welcome Rob! Thanks for the insight buddy that is also what I was thinking. I am no engineer tho so I'm not sure how it really works that's why I'm asking for help. It would make sense that it would be difficult to get it going in a direction w it that heavy n pushing down. Top and bottom will be skinned.

Corey

Comment

Also remember that we are basically "skinning" the inside of the stand. I know the small corner braces wont do it all but i can be almost posative it will be fine how we planned it out.

Comment

Yea John I don't weigh a ton but I been standing on the thing and looking at it. It's pretty sturdy and strong.....and that's only 1/2 of it. In theory I could skin that interior wall to help but I think it should be fine

Corey

Comment

Almost all home made stands are sooooo over built as compaired to the comercial stands it's insane. And yours fits the pattern, not saying it's wrong, just that you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
                        Bill
                        Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

yeah if you go to aa and see how they make there stands and those are for big tanks. theres no way i would trust those stands they make there or any other aquarium shop! if you build ur own u have that peice of mind lol

Comment

Yea I look at this and think about the stand from my 220....it was nothing compared to this and it's only 20 gallons more.

Corey

Comment

Few more updates....
                              what will be my new top of the stand. Ran outta screws so gonna pick up some more 2morro.

whole thing, minus the top braces.

It's coming along slowly.
                              Thus thing is massive tho!!!

Corey
                              Last edited by BIECAKA; 05-15-2013, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Bill us right, these stands could support a lot more weight than our fish tanks. The 220 I had prior didn't have a 1/4 of this wood in the stand. Lol
                                Hope to get my acrylic in soon and get that skimmer from GEO, he's been super busy and since I have so much to do I told him take his time! Not like I have a tank yet

Corey

Comment

Working...
                                X