Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's hip to be square....Corey's 240 gallon cube

:beer::beer:

Well as anyone that has seen my signature knows, I'm tankless right now. A few weeks ago I ordered a new tank. 48/48/24 cube, I'm super stoked about it.
    I've sold off most my other equipment, 220 gallon tank stand skimmer Tunze pumps(saddest day of my reef career, I even called roger to apologize to him I love those 6105's). I'm having my buddy George build me a beckett skimmer....I'm hoping to "help" him and maybe learn a few things. We've been hanging out a bit lately and I'm secretly picking his brain!
    I traded my Tunze pumps off for a few vortech mp40'wes models. ONLY reason I did this was the tank will have a slight eurobrace on it w no canopy so I wanted to keep the clean look.
    I'll be using a Rubbermaid stock tank for a sump, a goby gold for a return pump.(Brett ill set this up w ya buddy! Just been busy) I plan on using the pump to feed tank and reactors(jason ill contact you to come see your manifold and drool on your tank!).
    I'm not sure on a pump for skimmer yet, maybe a reeflo blowhole 1100 or something.
    The lights will be LEDs from my old tank with the addition of one(thanks John), I just ordered some replacement diodes from reefbreeders to change the color of them from the original ones I had. I'll likely hang these from bent conduit piping that can swivel away from the tank as needed.

For the stand......this has been a headache for me. Buckeyereefer(Larry) and I have talked and I really like his stand, George suggested some aluminum contraption like a workbench he has(it's sweet but not sure on metal and saltwater personally) so I will be going the DIY route. After hours and hours of digging through HD or lowes lumber trying to find straight boards I've decided to go to a lumber yard. I'm actually going to see George 2morro and stopping at a lumberyard in pataskala on my way back to see what they have and prices. Other issue, I live in an apartment and lack power tools to cut the wood. I'm going to ask them to make all the cuts to length if they can and offer to pay if needed. If not ill figure it out. John is going to help me swap out my diodes and build the stand with me. I'm doing something very similar to the thread on RC.

after selling my tank off I ordered 50lbs of rock from reefrock and got 80lbs of free sand and put all the rock in 2 trash cans to start a cycle. I added a piece of shrimp to each trash can and let it set for a few days. Pulled it out and left it be with some water circulation going. Jerry tested it for me today while I was over there and the nitrates are 100+ but no worries. It's been about 4-5 weeks and they should start to slowly come down. I might do a WC in a week or so if they don't. But I also spoke with aaron(Phishy) and he said just let it correct itself.
    Before putting the rock in the trash cans though, I soaked in bleach for 2 days then dipped in acid water mixture.

It will be a slow start on the tank as its not built yet but my cycle will be almost done so then it should be a bit quicker although I'm in no real hurry. Any input whether used or not is appreciated in this build as I can always stand to learn more and hear others thoughts.

Now a few pictures..

Long winded I know.

Corey

Barracuda but I'm trading it off. Thing is huge

Water change spickett, since I live in an apartment(I'd love to move b4 this tank gets done but highly unlikely) I made this contraption with a threaded end that I can thread a garden hose onto, run outdoors and open the ball valve and drain the water outside. The inside of the tub down to this level will be measured(hope like 25/32 gallons) en I can refill with a brute trash can. Nice and easy. No measuring needed.

I LOVE this stand!

Corey

Comment

Yup. That's in my bathtub....I'm single...

Rocks soaking in acid

Comment

I have a video of the rocks in the acid. It's crazy to watch but I can't get it to post from my photobucket account.

Corey

Comment

Corey, I seriously LOL'd at the rocks in the tub and you saying that you're single! This weekend I cleaned out a sump in our kids bathtub and left it in there for a few hours to air dry, and I got yelled at for having it in there. Hahahahaha

Comment

Super excited for this build Corey. You should give me a call while your in Pataskala and stop by. Give me a shout when your ready for the stand.

Comment

Sure will John, I'm headed to see George now and grab a bite to eat and chat for awhile. Then secretly overpower him to take his knowledge
              We are really lucky to have him so close to us!
              Thanks GEORGE!!!!(if you ever get on anymore and read this!)

I'm stopping by contract lumber on my way back, I'll call you then

Corey

Comment

nice Corey! thats a huge cube im building another cube in dec. and was going to do a 150 cube. ill have to go to rc and convert your measurments to see how many gallons yours is and get the same size as you lol. do you have a pic of the tank and where did you order it from?

Comment

lol never mind on the gallons i just seen it still would like to see a pic and order info lol

Comment

Bill I don't have a pic yet. A guy I know ordered the acrylic and he's gonna build it. I'm gonna help. I'm super stoked to learn(or try to learn) to build a tank!
                    I'll get some pictures as they roll in.
                    I wasn't able to get to contract lumber today. George an I sat around and chatted WAY too long looking at the beautiful day.

I'm gonna try to get the lumber Friday or Monday. I hope they will do me a favor and make the cuts for me as I don't have a saw!

Corey

Comment

Ohhhh Ic what size acrylic u using 3/4? Well I can't wait to see pics of that bad boy

Comment

I agree. I can't wait to see some pics. That is going to be one sweet looking tank. Are you going to make it viewable from all sides?

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing the tank too
                          I want to build a cube design for home when I retire in a few years. I want it just big enough for one pretty tang that will double as a great algae picker to keep the tank super clean. (likely a naso)

I will be taking notes on how all of this goes for you

Comment

Very nice dimensions, should be an awesome tank.

Comment

Bill I will be using 3/4 acrylic all the way around on it.
                              Joe, no it will be viewable by 3 sides. I thought of the center overflow but it makes aquascape so much harder than it already is!

Briny, I've eyed cubes for a long time I'm happy to finally get one. I love the depth they offer

Terry(I think right) please correct me if I'm wrong, yeah I love the dimensions should let me do some cool stuff and leave plenty of room for grow out.

I'm wanting to keep it rimless and do a valley type of rock work. I'll use the 2 vortechs on e back wall on the outer sides, hoping their undertow will provide plenty of flow and use my return to agitate the water surface and for flow along the middle part of the tank

Corey

Comment

Working...
                              X