Szwab's 240 build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Szwab's 240 build

Never did a build thread for my first tank but wanted to keep a record this time. After 15 years I moved out of my 200 into a new to me 240. I actually envied this tank when I first saw it and when it first went up for sale the timong wasn't right and I was sure I would miss out. I was happy (for me) that it was still availabe a year later and my wife was willing to let me pull the trigger. My old tank was a starphire glass 200 gal with dimensions of 50x30/31. Pic was taken during tear down

My new tank is a AGE 240 flatback hex tank that's 60x36x26. The bottom is 1 inch pvc starphire glass and acrylic eurobracing. The back is 60" and the front panel is 48" on a steel stand. It has a 4 inlet closed loop through the bottom.

When I got the tank it had the usual coraline algae that needed cleaned. The stand is powder coated but had some areas with rust. I ended up cleaning up the rust and priming and painting it. All in all everything was in great shape.

Thanks for looking I'll post more pics shortly.

our tank is 36 wide too, I really like the extra room that provides

what are you thinking about keeping?

Comment

I will start a thread soon about how your old tank is coming along. I have been very busy. I have been taking pictures step by step. Stacy

Comment

Treg's old tank? Very nice none the less!

Comment

Yeah, it's Treg's old tank.

What a tease! Where are the photos of the tank filled?!

Comment

awesome tank !!! love the look / dimensions

cant wait to see what you do with it !!!

Comment

I'll post up the first try at aquascaping when I get home tonight.
              Yes it's Tregs old tank. It'll be SPS dominated (I like my sticks)
              There will be some LPS in there as well and Now that my regals are gone might just put some zoas back in.

Comment

Lets see that first try pictures. Are you going to do a minimalistic or two island style? Also wondering if you will be using any rods or other aquascaping tricks? I've been playing with it for what seems like months, and I'm still not happy with it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Hollback View Post
                  Yeah, it's Treg's old tank.

What a tease! Where are the photos of the tank filled?!

Right
                  I seen this tank recently and it's......amazing
                  Corey

Comment

Thanks Corey!
                    I'm very critical of of my tank, never stisfied cause it can always be better. It's reassuring when others like what I've done

Comment

Photobucket is not working I'll try and get a FTS up later.

Comment

Photobucket seems to be back up. Here's a couple FTS Not very good ones. They were taken after the move. Took me 11.5 hours from the time I moved the first piece out of the old tank. that's not counting the plumbing work that happened before hand. The nice part was I was up and ws able to give the kids a ride to the bus stop Once I get things cleaned up a bit I'll post better ones. Planning on doing some aquascaping tomorrow. The other reason is it has been somehat of an adjustment the tank looks bare without the big colonies. It was imossible to get things in without having to break some of them up.

Comment

Also need to get some 45' brackets made for the screen top to make things cleaner.
                          The lights were going to be temporary. I like the concept. I just need to spiff them up a bit add some t5's and paint the whole thing black.

Last edited by szwab; 11-19-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Ohh and all the sand is on one side to make the aquascaping easier later.

Comment

Looks great, congrats on the new tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X