Coral or Sponge or Algae I.D.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coral or Sponge or Algae I.D.?

Could anyone help me I.D. a couple of animals (?) in my tank? These guys hitchhiked in on some Gulf-View Live Rock I soft-cycled 3 months ago.

Here is a video.

1) This appears at 0:50 of the video. It looks kind of like coraline algae, but it has a thick texture, like an encrusting coral. It does not spread like algae, which kind of appears and becomes thicker and thicker as it colonizes an area, kind of like a spray paint that you just keep spraying. Instead, this apparently grows in a spot and then spreads slowly over an area expanding from that central origin. As I said, like some encrusting coral or sponge. It isn't porous looking like a sponge. It has a rich wine color, but there are lighter purple striations that run through the creature. Like when chocolate begins to melt and the chocolate begins to look variegated. Or like oil on water. That is the appearance the thing has. I tried to focus with my little phone cam a couple of times to give you a clearer picture of what I'm referring to, but wasn't very successful.

There are several patches of it in the tank. At 0:40, you can see a spot where I scalded some of it in a showdown I was having with a gorilla crab. (My scorched earth tactic worked, by the way, although the collateral damage will look unsightly for a little while. Better than having a gorilla crab murder an expensive coral later, though.)

2) This species is visible at 1:15. They are the two black spheres you see. Again, I tried to zoom for a good look, somewhat unsuccessfully. I have seven or so of these little guys in the tank. They don't appear to care whether they are in full light or not. They do like to nestle in little nooks. They are spherical, black/dark grey and barely transluscent. Inside of them, you can see what look like little white dots. They almost look like a little pile of frog eggs if you've ever kept herps before, but they have little holes at various places on their body, the way a bryzoan does. I assume they are filter feeders.

I.D. help would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Spenseriana View Post
    Could anyone help me I.D. a couple of animals (?) in my tank? These guys hitchhiked in on some Gulf-View Live Rock I soft-cycled 3 months ago.

Here is a video.

1) This appears at 0:50 of the video. It looks kind of like coraline algae, but it has a thick texture, like an encrusting coral. It does not spread like algae, which kind of appears and becomes thicker and thicker as it colonizes an area, kind of like a spray paint that you just keep spraying. Instead, this apparently grows in a spot and then spreads slowly over an area expanding from that central origin. As I said, like some encrusting coral or sponge. It isn't porous looking like a sponge. It has a rich wine color, but there are lighter purple striations that run through the creature. Like when chocolate begins to melt and the chocolate begins to look variegated. Or like oil on water. That is the appearance the thing has. I tried to focus with my little phone cam a couple of times to give you a clearer picture of what I'm referring to, but wasn't very successful.
    It's a type of coralline algae, I also stocked my tank with Gulf live rock and it came with all kinds of cool corallines.

Not sure on the other.

Comment

Agreed on the coraline algae.

But no clue on the other. Curious to see if someone can ID it.

Comment

I can't really tell from your video but I would assume that if they are shiny looking spheres, it's valonia.

Comment

It's not Valonia. It's not shiny. Has a matte surface. The spheres can move, too. Some days I can tell they moved a few inches.

Comment

And thanks for the algae i.d. guys! I love this stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X