Mystery of the disappearing fish...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery of the disappearing fish...

In the last two months I've lost two fish under mysterious circumstances. The first was a juvenile yellow tang, 2" or so in size. A few days ago it was my bangai cardinal.

In both cases:
    -it happened overnight. the fish was observed with normal behavior the day before.
    -there was absolutely no trace of the fish (skeletal remains or whatnot), checked filter socks in and around rocks, caves, sand bed, etc..
    -I immediately did a nitrate test when I noticed the fish missing and they were within normal parameters for me (10-20ppm).
    -Also did an ammonia test, all zero.
    -Also did a nitrite test, zeros.

I have not introduced any new livestock into the tank in over 2 months, and the previous addition (mushroom rock) was quarantined for two weeks and dipped four times for safety (CoralRX, Bayer, ReVive, iodine).

Suspect livestock:
    -Predatory mushroom - I have a largish elephant ear mushroom (4-6" across), and have read that these can be predatory and have seen the youtube video of one chowing down on a fish. However it's location would be a mystery as to how it got the cardinal, as they never came within two feet of eachother.
    -Christmas wrasse - 4", but I did not notice his stomach distended or anything the morning after, and also he's been peaceful with both fish since introduction (3+ months for the tang, 1.5 years with the cardinal). He has been known to take out snails though.

So this leads me to believe that something like a mantis shrimp or bobbit worm snuck into my tank somehow. I've never heard the telltale "tapping" sound for a mantis shrimp, and have never stayed up into the early hours to check for worms of unusual size.

Given the above, do you agree that I should be hunting for those hidden hitchhiker predators? Or is my cleanup crew good enough that all the hermit crabs and various other things cleaned up the evidence of a natural fish death in one night? The wrasse and my remaining clown pair all seem ok.

Other things I had checked:
    -Confirmed heater was working normally as expected.
    -Confirmed no stray voltage (have titanium grounding rod)
    -Tested RODI water supply in ATO for same chemistry tests.
    -Nothing outside of normal in terms of scheduled water changes, cleanups, etc..
    BUILDING OUT:
    75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
    3x 50g acrylic frag tanks
    100g rubbermaid sump
Working...
X