clown acting weird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clown acting weird

Ok so I had a pair of frostbite clowns. The female is around 3-3.5" and the male was around 2-2.5". Well about a month ago during the night the male just disappeared no trace, vanished, I think aliens took him. So the female was alone for about 3 weeks to a month no problems, she was acting normal. About a week ago I pickup a new juvenile frostbite around 1-1.5". The new clown was acting weird the first few days, doing the normal getting use to the tank act. Well a few days ago I re arranged some live rock in the tank and the female started acting weird, she is just staying in one corner of the tank, not eating, and breathing heavy. The new clown is just fine. I've had her for around 2 years now and this is the first time she's acted this way. This is her with the new fish.

Sorry no one got back to you on this.

If she is breathing heavy, it does seem like it's something unique to her. She would be the one bullying the new guy, so I wonder if the addition of the new fish introduced a pathogen into the tank she wasn't used to. Did you quarantine the new guy? Where did he come from? Do you see anything on her (spots, anything else?)

Comment

Oh, how is her eating? She's not having a brood is she?

...That just dawned on me since she's been living alone for a month and maybe she and the new guy really hit it off

Comment

Thanks for the reply. They seem to be getting along fine. The new one wasn't quarantined the fish came straight from Sustainable aquatics. The new one was swimming near her but not doing the shaking. She has developed some small blotches on her tail. Not eating at all, I even pulled her out put her in a small bowl and put brine in there with her and nothing.

Comment

It sounds like the new one brought some disease with him. Can you pull them out and put them in quarantine? If you can upload some photos of the blotches, we might be able to help you figure out how to treat it.

What kind of blotches? It's not ich, right? That would first show up on the pectoral fins as little tiny white spots at the tips. Maybe velvet?

Comment

Well its too late, she didnt make it. I went out to pick up some medicine and a quarantine tank for her. I was about a hour out from getting the tank set up to transport her to. I noticed the blotches when I got home from the lfs. The blotches went from small to almost her entire tail and all the black markings on her in a matter of 1 hour and she was dead. It was strange she was staying on the bottom front corner of the tank, until her last hour alive she was swimming around and then would hide in the live rock. She never was rubbing against anything or coming to the surface and had no visible marks on her till the last hour she was alive.

Comment

Man, sorry to hear that. It happens to everyone. I try to quarantine everything (even corals) for a month before I introduce them to my display tank. It's the only way I've been able to keep pathogens out of my tank.

Sorry again for your loss.

Comment

Thanks, Ive got a quarantine system going now so I will be doing that from now on.

Comment

Yeah, sorry bud. At least you didn't lose more livestock. I've read stories of ich being introduced into a tank that takes all of its inhabitants in a day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    Yeah, sorry bud. At least you didn't lose more livestock. I've read stories of ich being introduced into a tank that takes all of its inhabitants in a day or two.
                    I'm battling this currently with something bacterial. From now on no fish will go in my tank without first going to qt.
                    -Travis-

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but Ich isn't bacterial, it's a parasite.

If you do have something bacterial, you can get some antibiotics for most common fish ailments at some of the local fish stores. Marycin, is one that comes to mind.

For the benefit of others: never medicate in the display tank though, or you will nuke your bio filtration.

Comment

I know this. I was more reiterating the need to qt with the explanation of my issues
                        -Travis-

Comment

If I had to make a guess I'd say it was probably Brooklynella.
                          Hard to avoid when getting new clowns from my experience. Especially younger ones.

Comment

If I had to make a guess I'd say it was probably Brooklynella.
                            Hard to avoid when getting new clowns from my experience. Especially younger ones.

Comment

Working...
                            X