Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big crash opinions

Hello,

Hard to say everything that has happened that probably play a role in where I am recently, but i'll try.

I am using BRS 2 part and was not paying close attention to magnesium. I could never get my calcium above 350ish. Turns out my magnesium was 1125.

I have corrected this and have been testing and logging my paremeters every 3rd day religiously and picked up a few hannah checkers to streamline that process.

I noticed one SPS colony have its polyps disappear and almost looked like they were sucked out with a straw all at once but the color was fine. Aaron at R2R first instinct is that something was eating it and gave me some bayer to do a dip. I dipped it and nothing came off and put the coral back in the tank. Later that week almost every single other SPS did the same thing. No bleaching or tissue death just missing polyps. After about a week they all died. My few LPS corals have never looked better but I had a predominately SPS tank.

I started looking over night before lights come on for pests even though I didnt see anything come off the coral I dipped. I have never seen these during the day, but sure enough all my dead corals had astarena stars all over them.

So heres my dillemma.

its POSSIBLE that parameters caused a crash. OR that the stars are eating the polyps at night causing the corals to die. I dont know for sure which. I do not want to add corals only to be eaten if that is the case, but I have a coral banded shrimp that will most likely attack any harlequinn I introduce. Thoughts on that? otherwise any opinions on how to rebuild / start adding corals again would be great. I am confident parameters will NOT be a cause of any coral death in the future, but am unsure of the astarenas.

We're the corrections you made drastic or done very slowly?
    -Travis-

Comment

The changes were done drastic, however was done after the event. Lol. So it was caused by some combination of what was happening prior.

Comment

Asterina are typically algae eaters and I have never noticed them on my acros - unless it was dead. Not saying it can't happen- if anything this hobby has taught me Murphy made a great law.

Comment

I doubt it was asterinas I'd lean more towards drastic changes as sps are typically the first to show signs of stress with it. One thing I always try to do is any changes even fixing problems like high alk and the like is to adjust slowly that way it doesn't stress out the corals even more. The Bayer dip was also more added stress imo. Although I wouldn't rule out pests all together sometimes they are very small
          -Travis-

Comment

Yea, I agree with all of that, however I only dipped 1 coral and I did not make any parameter changes until after the crash. I've heard of asterinas eating zoas so I figured it was possible. I've just never seen any SPS die in this specific mannor and so consistently across all of them.

Comment

Joe,
              have you been keeping track of n03 and p04 as well? I don't think it was the stars either, but I don't know what else it could be aside from parameters. I think your mag is fine, although a little higher would be fine-but we both know my mag struggles
              for what it's worth, my coral banded shrimp never harmed my harlequin shrimp. But depending on you asterina problem you might want 2. They hunt in pairs in the wild, but one will definitely work just take a little longer. Which isn't a bad thing.

corey

Comment

yea biopellets and phosphate rx keepin those undectable, its all come down to calcium alk and magnesium as well as potentially other trace elements that I am unable to test for.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyMint View Post
                  yea biopellets and phosphate rx keepin those undectable, its all come down to calcium alk and magnesium as well as potentially other trace elements that I am unable to test for.
                  might be worth a triton test to see if something is way off?
                  -Travis-

Comment

hmmm. thatsa good idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X