any interest in a group sps buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pastelball View Post
    What time frame are you looking to maybe place an order?
    honestly not sure, was trying to gauge interest first. gonna see what hollback thinks or what he is after or what time frame as well. im flexible since i want to wait a little while before adding things anyway since i had a few die during my move and want the tank to settle in
    -Travis-

Comment

I just want to clarify. Are you wanting to purchase a few corals for me to grow out and then distribute once they are large enough to frag? If that's the case, I'm guessing this will take a long time. Most of these "high end" corals are a ridiculous amount of money for like a half inch frag at the most. If it does live after being fresh cut and shipped, I'm guessing it will be about a year before anything could be cut off it and that would very greatly on how many frags there need to be and how quickly it naturally grows. At that point everyone would be starting over with a tiny piece.

I'm happy to be the grower but I don't think I would participate financially. I'd rather be a neutral participant. Looking back through grow out threads on R2R, almost all of them end badly. I don't think that will be the case here since we are all local but I can't guarantee something doesn't happen and I lose the coral. That said, my system is very healthy and currently I have a few open, prime real estate spots for some new corals. I am however going to be adding the frags on my frag rack to my rocks so if I need to keep a space/spaces open for the grow out, I'd like to know sooner than later.

IMO, it's a long-term investment with a high amount of risk but I'm willing to offer space in my tank to grow whatever everyone decides to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollback View Post
        I just want to clarify. Are you wanting to purchase a few corals for me to grow out and then distribute once they are large enough to frag? If that's the case, I'm guessing this will take a long time. Most of these "high end" corals are a ridiculous amount of money for like a half inch frag at the most. If it does live after being fresh cut and shipped, I'm guessing it will be about a year before anything could be cut off it and that would very greatly on how many frags there need to be and how quickly it naturally grows. At that point everyone would be starting over with a tiny piece.

I'm happy to be the grower but I don't think I would participate financially. I'd rather be a neutral participant. Looking back through grow out threads on R2R, almost all of them end badly. I don't think that will be the case here since we are all local but I can't guarantee something doesn't happen and I lose the coral. That said, my system is very healthy and currently I have a few open, prime real estate spots for some new corals. I am however going to be adding the frags on my frag rack to my rocks so if I need to keep a space/spaces open for the grow out, I'd like to know sooner than later.

IMO, it's a long-term investment with a high amount of risk but I'm willing to offer space in my tank to grow whatever everyone decides to get.
        That is fine with me, and I do agree a lot of them do end up badly. And you participating was one of my questions lol. I guess it's up to everyone, we could try and have a nice high end corals or grow a few out, either way I'm gauging interest and logistics
        -Travis-

Comment

Well, what about trying to find some colonies? That way maybe we can get a couple and just frag them up.

Comment

Originally posted by pastelball View Post
            Well, what about trying to find some colonies? That way maybe we can get a couple and just frag them up.
            For the corals they are discussing, you would be looking at thousands of dollars for a small colony, if you could even find one.

Comment

Just throwing stuff out there. Fun while it lasted

Comment

i think he was referring to colony in lieu of the high dollar frags
                -Travis-

Comment

Yeah, the colony. I wasn't trying to throw a blanket on it, but a colony of the premium frags is really hard to find for sale, because the guys selling them are selling frags to make money, so they need the colony to keep making frags.

The guys who buy a $3000-$5000 colony aren't typically involved at the regular guy level...

Comment

I was looking this weekend for some colonies and found some nice ones that were around 150.00 that would easily get 4 to 5 frags out them that would be good sized. They weren't the nice pricey ones. But, my post I should of clarified what I was talking about. I Ann smart enough to know we could get the really good ones for cheap by getting a colony.

Comment

Ask Tim. He has some amazing pieces!!!

Corey

Comment

Working...
                      X